Palm Beach County Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
By their nature, motorcycles are far less crashworthy than closed vehicles. They are less visible to other drivers and less stable, requiring special skills to operate safely. Motorcyclists and their passengers are also more vulnerable to the hazards of road conditions and weather than drivers of four-wheel vehicles. All these factors combine to mean motorcycles are more likely to be involved in collisions, and motorcyclists are likely to be seriously injured in the event of an accident. At Scott Smith Injury Law, our Palm Beach County motorcycle accident lawyers represent victims of motorcycle accidents with determination and smart strategies for obtaining maximum compensation for injuries.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents & Injuries
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there is no typical motorcycle accident. What is typical is that a motorcycle accident is a violent event. Indeed, more than 80% of all reported motorcycle accidents result in injury or death to the motorcyclist. Common causes and circumstances highlighting the catastrophic nature of motorcycle accidents include:
- In most motorcycle accidents (over 75%), the car strikes the motorcycle from the front. Head-on collisions between a car and a motorcycle are often fatal to the motorcyclist.
- The most dangerous situation for motorcyclists is when cars are making left-hand turns. Left-hand turn collisions account for 42% of all motorcycle accidents involving another vehicle.
- Most motorcycle-car collisions occur at intersections, and about 30% of multi-vehicle motorcycle crashes are a result of other drivers turning into the path of a motorcyclist.
- Lane-changing is another dangerous situation for motorcyclists. When car drivers quickly change lanes without properly looking out for motorcycles, they put motorcyclists in danger.
- Higher speeds are a significant factor in determining motorcycle accident injury severity—speeding results in more serious injuries.
- The largest percentage of non-fatal motorcycle accident injuries occur to the leg and foot area, including broken bones, crushing, and road rash. These injuries can result in amputation.
- Head and neck injuries, including spinal cord injury and traumatic brain injury, make up 42% of motorcycle accident injuries.
Florida is an especially dangerous state for motorcyclists. We top the list for motorcycle-related deaths, with over 500 fatalities in 2017. In fact, we were the only state with over 500 motorcycle accident fatalities. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Palm Beach County, or if you lost a family member in a motorcycle accident, Scott Smith Injury Law can help.
Get Legal Help after a Motorcycle Accident
Motorcyclists are often unfairly blamed for causing accidents due to a presumption that motorcyclists drive recklessly. But at Scott Smith Injury Law, we’ve handled many motorcycle accident injury claims, and we know this simply isn’t true. Please contact us for more information about getting fair compensation for your motorcycle accident injuries. Your consultation is free, and you owe us nothing until we recover on your behalf.