Boca Raton Boat Accident Lawyer
Florida’s waterways and coastlines are magnets for people who enjoy time on a boat. Family and friends often congregate on a boat to eat, drink, laugh, and enjoy themselves. Unfortunately, with so many vessels in the water, there are bound to be accidents, and innocent people can be seriously injured in a collision.
At Scott Smith Injury Law, our team is committed to helping victims get compensation by identifying the person or entity responsible for the injury. Contact our Boca Raton boat accident lawyer today for more information.
Types of Boat Accidents
Our clients have suffered serious injuries in the following types of accidents:
- A boat can collide with another vessel or with a dock. Other boats will run aground. During a collision, a person could be tossed around the boat or thrown overboard.
- Wake accidents. A boat that follows another boat too closely could hit its wake and be upended.
- A boat might sink due to a defect.
- Faulty wiring on a boat can lead to fires, which can cause burns or force people to jump in the water to escape.
There are many causes of these accidents, such as:
- Negligent operation of the boat
- Lack of operator experience
- Distracted boating (e.g., texting while operating a vessel)
- Boating under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Going out in poor weather
- Inadequate life vests or other safety equipment
- Poor boat maintenance
Because each case is different, it is vital that boat accident victims reach out to an attorney as soon as possible. At our firm, we can swing into action and inspect the boat to collect evidence that shows why the accident unfolded the way it did.
Possible Defendants in a Boat Accident
The purpose of a civil action is to identify the person or entity to blame for your injuries. Under Florida law, this person must pay compensation for various losses, such as lost income, the cost of medical care, property damage, and pain and suffering.
Depending on the accident, we might sue any of the following:
- The boat operator. This is the person at the wheel at the time of the accident. If he or she made some mistake or was careless, then this person is often liable.
- The boat owner. The owner might not be the operator at the time of the collision. However, the owner could have been negligent in getting the boat repaired or maintained. The owner might also have failed to have adequate life rafts or life vests.
- A passenger. Someone riding in the boat could have been to blame for the collision, such as someone fighting with the operator.
- The boat manufacturer. A defect in the design or manufacture of the boat could have led to its malfunctioning.
Contact Our Boca Raton Boat Accident Lawyer Today
Boat accidents happen so quickly that it is not always obvious who is to blame. This is where we can be of help. Scott Smith Injury Law has brought many claims for boat accident injuries, and we know what evidence is most useful. Contact us today for a free consultation.